Skip to main content

No. 87 Lawrence Lewis de Fordham's, 'Charlemagne'

When I announced I was redirecting my primary focus to fine art the majority of the heraldry patrons simply wished me well but a small minority decided to make the journey with me and add fine art to their collections as well.  I quickly realised that it wasn't simply the heraldry that was keeping them around but they had come to care about me not only as an artist but as a person.  Some of them are not famous, royal or noble by birth.  They are friends which I hold in the highest regard.  Here are four friends my wife and I now consider family who have large collections of my work consisting of both heraldry and fine art. 

Lawrence Lewis de Fordham
This work was painted for an exhibition in Ottawa, Canada in 1996 at that time I was experimenting with abstract applications of pattern in conjunction with formal heraldry style.  I have always liked this piece and it hung in my studio but when I changed the studio over to fine art I decided to sell it to Lawrence.
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No. 84 From James David Juliano's Collection

Although David has a large collection of my work I have always liked the crest I painted of his coat of arms showing St. Edward the Confessor.  

No. 97 Prince William's, 'Letters Patent'

This piece of work probably had to be one of the most nerve wracking of my career.  I was blessed to do some work for Queen Elizabeth.  I thought that the first piece they would ask me to do would be low key.  In fact I was asked to produce the Letters Patent granting Prince William his three titles including the one William and Catherine would later become so well known for, the Dukedom of Cambridge.  I knew the Queen would be signing it in her customary spot in the upper right hand corner and that she has an incredible eye for detail which can only add to one's anxiety.  This document had to be flawless and contain all the knowledge and skill I had achieved in decades working as a professional artist.  The Queen has a great sense of humour and so I had some fun in one of the decorative borders by showing the dragon of Wales hovering and rescuing the lion of England a tongue in cheek reference to William's career.  She thanked me by inviting my wife and I to a garden party.

No.85 From the Christopher Chambers Collection

I have painted this subject before, many years ago but in a Georgia O'Keefe moment I burned it. This version was begun in 2009 but abandoned until 2012 when I finally completed it.  Again, focusing on myth and legend.  James